Hello! Welcome to the Curriculum Vitae (Resume) section of Dr Vineet Govinda Gupta, MBBS, MD and DM Gold Medallist (AIIMS) Medical oncologist in Delhi, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida and NCR. Access ethical, scientific and world-class cancer care in the heart of Delhi NCR. You can read more about him and obtain contact details here. Educational resources for cancer patients can be accessed at various sections on this website by using the menu above. For a free E-consultation , click here.
Why do I call myself the “Best Medical Oncologist in Delhi NCR”?
While there are dozens of people who claim to be the best, I believe the word “best” can be distilled into two main ingredients:
- Qualification and experience: I have received my entire training from AIIMS New Delhi, the apex medical institute in the country and the mecca of health education and world-class medical treatment in India. In fact, I was a member of this institution for more than 12 years. In addition, I have been awarded honors including AIIMS Gold Medal for best Medical Oncologist. In addition, I have been the recipient of numerous national and international awards. Further, I have published numerous research papers in top medical journals in the country and abroad.
- Ethics and principles: While qualifications are important, I believe what is more important is the “why” and “how” of one’s practice. Cancer is a extremely difficult diagnosis for any person and cancer treatment is often misunderstood, difficult, exhausting and expensive. Throughout my practice, I have always followed the principle of viewing my patients from a standpoint of “how would I treat my own family member?” Accordingly, I ensure that I always offer the best, most scientific, ethical and available medical care to my patients.
My goal is not just to be a doctor, but a partner and friend in need to my patients.
Education and training
Dr Vineet has received his entire education and training from AIIMS, New Delhi, the most prestigious and apex medical institute of the country. He has spent more than 12 years at the institute.
M.B.B.S.: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
MD, Medicine: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
DM, Medical Oncology (Gold Medalist): All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
European Certified Medical Oncologist: European Society for Medical Oncology, Lugano, Switzerland
Certified in Essentials of Palliative Care: Indian Association for Palliative Care
Skills and areas of Expertise in Oncology
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation/Bone Marrow Transplantation
Thoracic malignancies including lung cancer and thymic cancer/thymoma
Gynaecological malignancies including gestational trophoblastic neoplasm, uterine, cervix, ovarian and vulvar cancer
Endocrine cancers including neuroendocrine, thyroid and adrenal tumors
Childhood cancers including Wilms Tumor, neuroblastoma, retinoblastoma, leukemias and medulloblastoma
Expertise in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) / Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT)
I have been an integral part of the BMT program at IRCH, AIIMS New Delhi, the third-oldest BMT program in India, and have participated personally in more than a hundred transplants as part of the AIIMS team. I have also conducted research on HSCT/BMT (see list of publications below) and my research has been honored with a research grant by the government of india (see below). I have also personally conducted umbilical cord-blood transplants (UCBT).
Awards and Honors
- Shakuntala Jolly Gold Medal for best Medical Oncologist: AIIMS New Delhi
- European Society of Medical Oncology Examination: 96.7th percentile (among oncologists from the entire world)
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology Young Investigator Award (SIOP YIA) 2016 – SIOP 2016 Congress (October 2016, Ireland)
- Gold medal for 100th percentile score: University of New South Wales, Australia
- Recipient of numerous international grants and awards: Singapore, Czech republic, Ireland
- Certified in Essentials of Palliative Care: Indian Association for Palliative Care
- Recipient of multiple national scholarships
- All India postgraduation entrance examinations – Rank 10 (AIIMS).
- Recipient of CBSE merit scholarship for most meritorious students in the country during undergraduate training.
Proper treatment of cancer is based in science. The roots of scientific treatment is based on the principles of evidence based medicine, which ensures that only the most effective, scientific treatments are offered to patients with maximum benefit and minimum harm.
Accordingly, to be a good oncologist, one should have a strong research base in addition to being a clinician. Dr Gupta has numerous peer-reviewed publications in reputed Indian and International peer-reviewed journals. This includes the top 5 oncology journals in the world like JCO, NEJM and Lancet Oncology.
Some of his major publications are given below. You can click the links to read the full articles on their respective webpages:
- Abbas W., Rangaraju, R., Gupta V.G., Immunotherapy Induced Acute Pulmonary Thrombo-embolism. A case report, South Asian Journal of Cancer (ACCEPTED, PUBLICATION AWAITED)
- Gupta, V. G., Rangaraju, R., Abbas, W., Bajpai, P., & Khetrapal, R. (2019). Immune checkpoint inhibitors: Real-world experience from india in advanced solid cancers that have progressed on chemotherapy.South Asian Journal of Cancer, 8(1), 65. doi:10.4103/sajc.sajc_167_18
- Gupta, V. G., & Goel, V. (2018). Differences Between Chemotherapy-Resistant Disease and Inoperable Disease in Cervical Cancer Treated With Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology. doi:10.1200/jco.2018.78.6632
- Patel, A., & Gupta, V. G. (2018). Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy for Premenopausal Breast Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 379(17), 1683-1685. doi:10.1056/nejmc1810514
- Patel, A., & Gupta, V. G. (2018). Adjuvant therapy in resectable gastric cancer—the CRITICS trial. The Lancet Oncology, 19(7). doi:10.1016/s1470-2045(18)30369-3
- Naik, R. D., Batra, A., & Gupta, V. G. (2019). Palbociclib and Fulvestrant in Breast Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 380(8), 796-797. doi:10.1056/nejmc1816595
- Srivastava, R. & Gupta, V. G., Dhawan, D., Geeta, K., & Bakhshi, S. (2018). Poor nutritional knowledge and food restrictions among families of children with cancer and their impact: A cross-sectional study of 700 families. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 36(5), 658-666. doi:10.1080/07347332.2018.1484840
- Gupta, V. G., Rangaraju, R. R., Saha, R., & Bajpai, P. (2018). Pazopanib Monotherapy Is Active in Relapsed and Refractory Metastatic Gastroesophageal Adenocarcinoma and Can Produce Durable Response. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer. doi:10.1007/s12029-018-0130-3
- Gupta, V. G., & Bakhshi, S. (2018). Hyperbaric oxygen with cord blood transplants: Filling the donor gap. The National Medical Journal of India,30(5), 273-274. doi:10.4103/0970-258X.234396
- Gupta, V. G., Gogia, A., Sharma, V., & Mallick, S. (2018). Lymphomatoid Granulomatosis with Isolated Cutaneous lesions: Prolonged remission after DA-EPOCH protocol. Turkish Journal of Hematology. doi:10.4274/tjh.2018.0020
- Gupta, V.G., Gogia, A., et al (2017).Combined modality treatment with “dexamethasone, methotrexate, ifosfamide, l-asparaginase, and etoposide” chemotherapy and involved field radiotherapy for early stage natural Killer/T cell lymphoma with local tumor invasiveness: A single-institution study from India. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology, 39(1), 67. doi:10.4103/ijmpo.ijmpo_60_17
- Gupta, V. G., Gogia, A., Mehta, P., et al. (2016). 356P Early stage natural killer/T cell lymphoma with local tumor invasiveness treated with a uniform SMILE protocol: An institutional study from India. Annals of Oncology, 27(Suppl_9). doi:10.1093/annonc/mdw586.025
- Gupta, V.G., Srivastava R., Dhawan D., Geeta K, Bakhshi S. “Nutritional Ignorance And Restrictions Among Families Of Children With Cancer: A Cross-sectional Study Of 700 Families” – Oral presentation. SIOP 2016 Scientific Programme Index. (2016). Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 63. doi:10.1002/pbc.26233
- Gupta, V. G., & Bakhshi, S. (2016). Pediatric Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in India: Status, challenges and the way forward. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 84(1), 36–41. doi:10.1007/s12098-016-2253-5
- Gupta, V. G., & Gogia, A. (2016). DDGP versus SMILE in NK/T-Cell Lymphoma–Letter. Clinical Cancer Research, 22(16), 4271-4271. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.ccr-16-1076
- Gupta, V. G., Arora, B., Radhakrishnan, V., Banavali, S., & Bakhshi, S. (2015). Treatment rates of paediatric acute myeloid leukaemia: A view from three tertiary centres in India. British Journal of Haematology, 175(2), 346–347. doi:10.1111/bjh.13858
- Patil, P., Gupta, V. G., Rangaraju, R., Abbas, W., & Bajpai, P. (2018). Prolonged survival with anti-epidermal growth factor receptor therapy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: A case series. Journal of Current Oncology, 1(2), 97. doi:10.4103/jco.jco_22_18
- Tiwari, A., Gupta, V. G., & Bakhshi, S. (2017). Newer medical therapies for metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 17(3), 257-270. doi:10.1080/14737140.2017.1285229
- Rastogi, S., & Gupta, V. (2017). Eribulin approval in advanced liposarcoma – successful drug or a weaker methodology? Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology, 38(1), 2. doi:10.4103/0971-5851.203492
- Khilnani, G C; Gupta, V G; Singh, M B; Jain, N; Hadda, V; et al. Electrophysiological Abnormalities and Acquired Neuromusclular Weakness in Severe Sepsis and Its Impact on Outcome: A Prospective Study – American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine; New York Vol. 191, (2015): 1-2.
- Mittal, A., Sharma S., Gupta, V.G., et al (2017). Carcinoma of Unknown Primary Presenting as Peripheral Symmetric Gangrene. J Assoc Phys India, 65(2), 78-81.
- Abbas, W., Rao, R. R., Gupta, V. G., & Popli, S. (2019).Immunotherapy-induced interstitial lung disease: Cases report. South Asian Journal of Cancer, 8(2), 79. doi:10.4103/sajc.sajc_23_19
- Abbas, W., Goel, V., Verma, A., Gupta, V. G., & Rao, R. R. (2019). Harnessing the Immunomodulatory Effects of Radiation in Urinary Bladder Cancer. Cureus. doi:10.7759/cureus.4108
- Naik, R. D., Kumar, L., Mittal, A., Gupta, V. G., et al. (2018). Outcome of multiple myeloma patients with renal failure: A retrospective study [Abstract]. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 36(15_suppl). doi:10.1200/JCO.2018.36.15_suppl.e20026
Government-funded extramural research
The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India has funded a project: “Lymphocyte Reconstitution and Infectious Morbidity Post Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation” under Dr Ranjit Sahoo (Department of Medical Oncology, AIIMS New Delhi) which is currently in progress.
Membership of Professional Societies
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP)
- Indian Society of Medical and Pediatric Oncology (ISMPO)
- Pediatric Hemato-Oncology chapter, Indian Academy of Pediatrics (PHO-IAP)
- The AIIMSONIANS – Alumni association of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Dr Gupta has participated in innumerable teaching activities throughout his career and frequently participates in seminars and conferences for mutual education and learning.
Contact me for a free E-consultation
If you have a query related to cancer, You can also use the E-consultation form below to send it to me. You can send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.